This event will serve two purposes in our diocese: the first is to pray for what is just and right in our community and in the world around us; the second is to unite us as a common body of Christians in middle Tennessee. I know that your parish calendars are full, but I hope that you will join in and make this first diocesan-wide prayer vigil a part of your fall programming.
There are no set parameters for how you should incorporate this prayer vigil into the life of your church. Quite the opposite is true. As the event grows near, I will be eager to hear how the Prayer Vigil is taking shape in your church, or within your group. The diocese will share ideas from different parishes.
Here are a few ideas for joining in:
· A silent prayer vigil in your parish
· A vigil with a specific prayer focus
· Youth focused/led event
· A vigil streamed on Facebook Live
· An online platform for parishioners to share prayers from their personal locations
· A gathering off-site at a nearby nature preserve or outdoor park
· A parish wide retreat
· An event full of worship music
· An event led by a member of the clergy
· A lay member led event
· Endless opportunities. . .
The Diocesan Prayer Vigil is scheduled for Saturday, October 27, 2018. In early September we will give parishes the opportunity to share their plans for the day.